In order for me to set an example of why I decided to go to France for food, I will share a recipe today that even Americans are very fond to eat. If you are an American reading my blog, then you will clearly see the difference. If you are French, then you might start craving for this wonderful creation your people made. If you are of any other nationality, Try it!
I am going to share the French recipe for an omelet. I know some of you might be thinking, “just an omelet? that’s just eggs in a frying pan and some green garnish”. Yes, if you cook it the American way. But here in France, they cook it this way:
Ingredients(good for 1 person)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. water
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 3 tbsp. finely sliced mint leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix egg and water in a bowl and whisk until it becomes frothy
- Crumble the goat cheese and add to the egg froth mixture. whisk again.
- Use a non-stick pan and heat the Olive oil.
- Briefly saute mint leaves in oil (30secs.)
- whisks eggs before pouring into pan. swirl pan to distribute mint.
- proceed into how you normally handle an egg omelet. Working your way around the pan.
- As the omelet starts to be firm, turn off heat and let the residual heat cook it for one more minute or until omelet is brown.
- add salt and pepper to taste. Go easy on the salt since Goat cheese already has high sodium content.
- you are done. Serve the omelet on a plate, folding it over itself.
By now you can see that it is different because its not just a simple egg and salt in your frying pan kind of omelet. The dedication that French food makers have for even the simplest dish is one of the many reasons why I chose to come here and learn here.
The omelet offers a new kind of flavor. It is a famous omelet that is known to come from Corsica.
If you are going to try the recipe at home, quick reminders: non-stick pans are quite important in the equation of this particular recipe. Goat cheese is part of the ingredient and this food item could easily stick to your pan if you do not use the non-stick version. If there is no available fresh goat cheese, you can use ricotta since it could also be crumbled. If you have aged goat cheese, you can grate it in as well, together with the ricotta.
Another reminder, just double the ingredients if you plan to serve this as a breakfast in bed surprise for you and your loved one. It is quick yet it offers an exquisite taste and aroma. You can pair this with salad or bread.